This policy was created in November 2018.
Owningyourprofession.com is our (Ms. OYP and Mr. OYP) personal blog. Although we are lawyers, on this site we are only providing general information and not professional legal or financial advice. The opinions and recommendations are our own; however, each individual person’s situation is different and decisions are often fact dependent. You may wish to consult a professional before making any financial or legal decisions.
You should know that we have affiliate advertising programs on our website. This means that if you click on or make a purchase through specific links on this site, we may make money. However, we want you to know that we only promote and recommend things that we truly believe in. Our opinions are our own. We cannot be held liable for anything on external websites that are linked to our website.
You should also know that Owingyourprofession.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.ca. As part of this Amazon Associates program, our site will post customized links, provided by Amazon, to track the referrals to their website. This program utilizes cookies to track visits for the purposes of assigning commission on these sales.
By providing us with your data, you warrant that you are over 13 years of age.
What Information do we Collect?
- Information You Voluntarily Submit to the Website: We may collect personal information from you such as your name and email address. For example, you may voluntarily submit information to the website by subscribing to a newsletter or email or submitting a contact form.
- Automatically-Collected Information: We automatically collect certain information about you and the device with which you access the website. For example, when you use the website, we will log your IP address, operating system type, browser type, referring website, pages you viewed, and the dates/times when you accessed the website. We may also collect information about actions you take when using the website, such as links clicked.
- Cookies: We may log information using cookies, which are data files stored on your browser by the website. We may use both session cookies, which expire when you close your browser, and persistent cookies, which stay on your browser until deleted, to provide you with a more personalized experience on the website. For more information about cookies, and how to disable cookies, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
We also collect communication data that includes any communication that you send to us whether that be through the contact form on our website, through email, social media messaging, social media posting or any other communication that you send us. We process this data for the purposes of communicating with you, for record keeping and for the establishment, pursuance or defence of legal claims. Our lawful ground for this processing is our legitimate interests which in this case are to reply to communications sent to us, to keep records and to establish, pursue or defend legal claims.
We may use this data to deliver relevant website content and advertisements to you and to measure or understand the effectiveness of the advertising we provide. Our lawful ground for this processing is legitimate interests, which is to grow our website. We may also use such data to send other marketing communications to you. Our lawful ground for this processing is either consent or legitimate interests.
How Your Information May be Used
We may use the information collected in the following ways:
- To operate and maintain the website;
- To create your account, identify you as a user of the website;
- To send you promotional information, such as newsletters. Each email promotion will provide information on how to opt-out of future mailings;
- To send you administrative communications, such as administrative emails, confirmation emails, technical notices, updates on policies, or security alerts;
- To respond to your comments or inquiries;
- To provide you with user support;
- To track and measure advertising on the website; and
- To protect, investigate, and deter against unauthorized or illegal activity.
Third-Party Use of Personal Information
We may share your information with third parties when you explicitly authorize us to do so.
Additionally, the website may use third-party service providers for various aspects of the website. Each third-party service provider’s use of your personal information is dictated by their respective privacy policies. The website currently uses the following third-party service provider:
At this time, your personal information is not shared with any other third-party applications. This list may be amended from time to time in the website’s sole discretion.
Except when required by law, we will not sell, distribute, or reveal your email addresses or other personal information without your consent. If you would like to learn more about what options you have about limiting the gathering of information by third-party ad networks, you can consult the website of the Network Advertising Initiative. You can opt out of participating in interest-based advertising networks but opting out does not mean you will no longer receive online advertising. It does mean that the companies from which you opted out will no longer customize ads based on your interests and web usage patterns using cookie-based technology.
From time to time, we may use anonymous data, which does not identify you alone, or when combined with data from other parties. This type of anonymous data may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses. Examples of this anonymous data may include analytics or information collected from cookies.
Users may, at any time, prevent the setting of cookies, by the website, by using a corresponding setting of your internet browser and may permanently deny the setting of cookies. Further, you can delete all cookies that are already on your computer and you can set most Internet browser to prevent them from being placed. This is possible on all popular Internet browsers. However, if you choose to disable cookies, some areas of the website may not work properly and you may have to adjust some preferences every time you visit a site.
The cookie-related information is not used to identify you personally. These cookies are not used for any purpose other than those described here.
- Affiliate Program Participation: The website may engage in affiliate marketing, which is done by embedding tracking links into the website. If you click on a link for an affiliate partnership, a cookie will be placed on your browser to track any sales for purposes of commissions.
Some of the sections of this site will allow you to purchase different products and services online provided by other merchants, and not us. Some of the links that we post on our site are “affiliate links”. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission.
You have the right at any time to prevent us from contacting you for marketing purposes. When we send a promotional communication to a user, the user can opt out of further promotional communications by following the unsubscribe instructions provided in each promotional e-mail.
Under data protection laws you have rights in relation to your personal data that include the right to request access, correction, erasure, restriction, transfer, to object to processing, to portability of data and (where the lawful ground of processing is consent) to withdraw consent. If you wish to exercise these rights please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a European resident, you have the right to access personal information we hold about you and to ask that your personal information be corrected, updated, or deleted. If you would like to exercise this right, please email us at email@example.com
Contact and Withdrawing Consent
If you have any questions or if you wish to withdraw your consent for the continued collection, use or disclosure of your personal information, please contact us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org